Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Free and Mayenobe..."Don't Tango in Berlin"




Hello All,

Heads Up..."They're Back".  Yep, you guessed it, Janine Free and Guy Mayenobe those fantastic photographers with their rare and innovative take on the visual world.  Things seen and perceived in a truly non-traditional form, to say the least.  These two live and create in a rarefied space that few often inhabit.  Janine Free and Guy Mayenobe are coming back to Gallery 21 for their latest exhibition, "Don't Tango in Berlin", Street Photography and Cutouts.

The new exhibition opens on September 21, 2011 and runs through October 3, 2011.  The opening reception is on September 24, 2011 from 12:00 - 4:00 p.m.  Gallery 21 is located in Spanish Village Art Center at 1770 Village Place in scenic Balboa Park.

Last year's exhibition, "The Real Life of Mannequins" was simply "mind blowing", and I am sure that Janine and Guy will give us no less in this year's, "Don't Tango in Berlin".  All the photography will focus on street art and the many angles from which it can be perceived.  If you know Janine and Guy like I do, then you know to expect some pretty spectacular "viewpoints and angles" that one does not often see.  The title alone has me completely intrigued.

In Janine's own words, "Guy and I set out to dispel the negative view [of street art] by making our own art out of the street photographs we took in Berlin...In our new show, "Don't Tango in Berlin" (or you might never leave the city), we tell our stories with the same opposite but complementary styles that was evident in our last year's duo show, "The Real Life of Mannequins."  Guy adds some further insight as, "...I was amazed by the prominent use of posters in the streets..the use of graffiti painted on paper and glued to the walls.  Both those posters and graffiti are modified by the time, weather and partial teardowns, generating new art form.  This is what I am capturing in pulling those forms out of their context (ie. the wall) and laying then down on a neutral background, therefore revealing their meaning."

Well, I don't know about you, folks, but in my book you can't say it any better than that.  As always, Janine and Guy are exquisitely skilled in creating visions in our minds with their European flavored verbiage.  I can't say it enough times..."I am intrigued."

I'll let you in on a little secret.  While speaking with Janine last week, she humorously whispered to me that, "I don't even know what Guy is doing this time...He won't tell me!"  Now, that alone promises to be a real show stopper, don't you think?  As I said, I am intrigued, and so will you be.  Anything involved with these two can't be anything else.  Janine Free and Guy Mayenobe, amazing capturers of the unforeseen.  Prestidigitation has nothing on them.

I'll be back with more details on the show after the opening reception.  Don't want to take away the anticipation that Janine and Guy always project.  I can hardly wait.  See you there!  Oh, and don't forget..."Don't Tango in Berlin" (or you might never leave the city).



Written and posted by Cassandra Shepard, Studio 32
All images, content and text copyrighted 2011, all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...